- About Us
- Why Green?
- Contact Us
- Book Now
If you live in an area that is humid or experienced heavy rainfall, then you probably are no stranger to mold and mildew growing in your home. However, even people who have mold and mildew in their home regularly, many times don’t know how to deal with it. Mold and mildew are a type of water damage and can be dealt with yourself, but some are more dangerous than others, and should only be touched by a water damage professional. Here are some tips for getting rid of these bacteria and fungi.
Mildew and mold can be hard to tell apart because they are fairly similar in appearance. The easiest way to tell them apart is that mildew is typically grey or white and mold can be black or green. Mildew is a surface fungus but it doesn’t have deep roots, so it can be pretty easy to clean up. You can take a scrub brush to it and wipe it away easily. In areas like the bathroom, you may need to frequently clean mildew off the walls and ceiling, especially if there is no fan or ventilation in the bathroom. It is best to get rid of this as soon as you see it because it can be more difficult to remove if it sits for a long period of time. If it is hard to remove, you can spray straight vinegar on it and leave it for up to an hour, return and wipe it off.
There are some molds that you can deal with yourself and there are others that you should call a professional for. Green mold is usually pretty safe to deal with and this is the mold that you mostly find from food. You will see this in your pantry or refrigerator often if you don’t regularly clean out your leftovers. Black mold, on the other hand, can be very dangerous. If disrupted, it will release spores into the air that can affect your lungs if you breathe them in. These spores are especially dangerous for infants or seniors and you should seek help from a water damage professional if you see any black mold in your home. You can also contact a professional if you are having unexplained symptoms like asthma, headache, or respiratory problems, as these might be a sign of black mold within your home. Even if you cannot see the mold, it could be growing under the carpet or within the walls. A professional has the correct safety clothing and equipment to make sure the mold is dealt with safely.
Mold and mildew both grow when they have a dark, moist area that has “food” for it to feed on. The best way to get rid of both mold and mildew is to ventilate often. Keep airflow coming in and out of your home as much as possible and open doors and windows. Allow sunlight into your home when you can. Try to decrease the moisture in the air by getting a dehumidifier and use fans when the air feels damp. If you have a bathroom that has zero ventilation, shower with the door open and use a dehumidifier. Mold can grow under things and on walls, so even if you think you don’t have a problem, you could have one. Prevention is the best way to keep yourself free from water damage.
If you do find mold or water damage in your home, contact the professional team at Excel Eco Clean serving the Mattoon area. Our team of certified professionals can help identify the source of your mold problem and eliminate it for good and can help keep water damage from turning into a mold problem.